Monday 4 August 2008

Photography : Lost & Found

On last Sunday, I was window-shopping at Ikano Power Center at Mutiara Damansara and I stumbled upon A Photography Workshop organized by the Nikon, Nikonian Academy & Cocorich. I was there when Andrew Boey, Mohd Haider and another bloke gave me some useful tips on how to take better digital photography. Luckily for me, the terms and the photography jargons they said are still relevant to me. I’m glad that I still can understand and appreciate every single word they have said. I enjoyed the talks and the photography exhibition featuring Malaysia’s top photographers very much. Yes, it has been long since I haven’t taken any serious photography. I think it was almost 11 years ago. The last one was the Underwater Photography at Sipadan Island.

Back to history, I was hooked to photography when I was in my secondary school. My first borrowed camera was a Yashica Electro 35. This was also the camera I used to take the State’s Best Photography organized by the Education Ministry that won me RM200. It was a big sum for a skinny secondary student at that time. I’m still wondering why the judges did not notice the flaw in my entry whereby a bunch of children (multiracial) reading/sharing a “book” together. I thought my photography's concept was good but I wondered why I placed a magazine instead of Children’s book and still won? Lucky I guess. I’ve also participated in several contests but managed to get only consolation prizes, but it’s still felt great to me. In my school days, I joined the photography club when I was in Form 4. My school at that time was the best school that published Annual School Magazine due to the quality photographs taken by students and our great advisor who was also working as a journalist. I became the “fulltime” School Photographer a year later (until Form 6) and using my school’s Nikon FM2 that required me to take daily photograph i.e. Club Activities, Sports, Assemblies, Mini Parliament Sessions, etc. Kind of a like a photo-journalist for the school. I was lucky then because the school allowed me to use the School’s Photography Dark Room whereby all films processing and photograph printings are carried out using dark room tools & equipments. It was only Black & White prints but I was excited and addicted to photography!! I worked part time as well for a local studio as a photographer and assistant videographer. As that time, I earned RM30 to RM50 a day on call basis.

I bought my first camera, a Yashica FX3 Super 2000 complete with a TTL Flash, Standard 50mm lens and 70mm to 200mm zoom lens using my study loans (Muahahaha) when I was in the university and also the money I saved from my part-times. Again, I was requested by the one of university club to take some of their activities. Not as excited as before, nevertheless, I enjoyed it very much. I got several requests that I never turn-down to photograph beautiful ladies in the campus free of charge. Don’t get me wrong, nothing unusual or indecent and it’s all outdoor photography with beautiful ladies and sceneries around the campus. Yes, I appreciate beauties at all cost!!

After graduation, I still continue to take photograph and work part time for the studio I worked before. I then took Underwater Photography Cetification when I got my Advanced Open Water diving certificate. Eventually, I bought an underwater Sea & Sea Motormarine II 35mm Camera completes with all the lens kits and with Strobe. Not so user friendly, but very good for underwater wide angle photography especially for marine pelagic. I stop serious photography from 1998. Now it’s 2008 and it’s has been 11 years already? Hmmm…. But then again, that doesn't stop me from buying my first ever prosumer Digital Camera, a Sony DSC V1 which I considered as a “Lazy” guy camera. It’s a good camera for a family man.

For your information, both my old Yashica FX3 Super 2000 and Sea & Sea Motormarine II are still with me and in good working condition. I think I should find a buyer or two to buy these antics!!

Now, I think I want my long lost hobby back!! Thank you very much Nikonian for triggering the passion of photography in me again. I think I need a good DSLR camera. I’m thinking of buying a Sony, Canon or Nikon in the near future. If I can’t get my camera this year, perhaps it can be one of my resolutions next year. I will and have to start saving this month, God willing.

16 comments:

Zashnain said...

I suka the SLR Camera F55, easier for an idiot like me not to mention of its superb light weight.

Zashnain said...

Sorry did I fail to mention that the F55 is a Nikon?

CheungYF said...

Haaa.. the Nikon F55 SLR. SLR with a "compact" camera function. I think this camera is quite similar to Minolta Dynax 5. I've tried the Dynax 5. Light weight as well but I don't quite like the focusing ring.

Zashnain said...

By thur next week i shall have a samsung LA40A450C1 LCD Tv. Now what else to buy?

CheungYF said...

Ha..good for you. Next, is HD player or at least Upscalling HDMI DVD player. I recommend you Toshiba or Philips....errr but not Samsung lah. Please make sure these DVD players come with USB port (play movie from USB). Another thing is, increase your popcorns and whatnot budget!!

Zashnain said...

u killing me bro. can't afford the dvd player, unless its below rm200. but i can supply the popcorn if u want.

thks 4 de tip on de usb port. u de man!

CheungYF said...

Not really bro. When you watch the screen, you'll be either cursing your DVD disc or the old player or your new LCD. Believe me....

Zashnain said...

Wat would you recommend?

Phillips'

DVD Home Theater System HTS6515/98

or

HTS6100/98?

CheungYF said...

The former would be a better choice Sir. Btw,your indulgence in AV system has been long overdue.

Zashnain said...

My passion in AV system was stunted by my work. However I am energized about it now that I have you playing the devil’s advocate to the things that I am planning to buy or already have bought.

The challenge is notably the price tag. Not to mention I need devices that can perform spectacular acts, synergizing with the Samsung. Check out the site:

http://www.samsung.com/my/consumer/detail/spec.do?group=television&type=television&subtype=lcdtv&model_cd=LA40A450C1XXM&fullspec=F#

CheungYF said...

Zash, let's see what others say....

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/0,39037585,43187246p,00.htm

Zashnain said...

"this model sports enhanced DNIE+ and Wide Color Enhancer 2 video-processing" and for the price i had paid, its worth it.

However HSL's RM800 price tag for the steel holder bracket is outstandingly insane.

Zashnain said...

Samsung DVD-HR775 looks cool. What do you think of its performance?

But then again you are not such a fan of Samsung. Aye bro?

Zashnain said...

My wife just bought Philips DVD Player with HDMI and USB DVP5996K HDMI 1080p DivX Ultra Karaoke
DVP5996K/94 DVD player DVP5996K.

CheungYF said...

Hahaha..I'm NOT a Samsung fan. Yr wife bought the Philips DVD DVP5996K? Oohhhh, then in this case, we can actually share our remote control... :)

Zashnain said...

she is in de shopping mood now. well i can't wait for thur when all are delivered!